Based on decades of experience in immigrant integration work, our leadership developed a “RoadMap to the American Dream.” This RoadMap outlines the basic skills needed to thrive in American life, and we use it as a tool to support all of our initiatives.
The RoadMap helps to simplify American life for New Americans, and serves as a tool for communities working to support them.
1. We will add English to our first language and learn the traditions of America.
2. We will work to become model U.S. citizens the way countless immigrants have done before.
3. We will be a Learning Family and stress the importance of education, by partnering with our schools’ teachers.
4. We will make life-long learning our family’s goal and establish college graduation or advanced education as a family tradition.
5. We will constantly strive to improve our skills in order to meet our family’s financial needs.
6. We will prepare for our long-term financial responsibilities, including making plans for savings, housing, college funds, health insurance, and retirement.
7. We will learn healthy nutrition and exercise habits and be attentive to our family’s health needs.
8. We will seek balance in our family by spending quality time together and nurturing supportive relationships.
9. We will accept civic responsibilities and give back to our community from the blessings bestowed upon us.
10. We will carry our home country in our hearts but commit to our obligations in the United States.